Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The View From Ground Zero

Well, it's the start of a new year. With it brings new possibilities. For many of us this year it is a bit different. For many are starting the year filled with uncertainties. That once-taken-for granted automatic paycheck is no longer coming in. We are part of the legion of folk who no longer have a job.

In my case, I came down to the Charlotte area a little over a year ago filled with high hopes. Coming from the cold Northeast I figured it would be a snap to land a marketing communications or corporate training position. But the souring economy followed me. Decent jobs are no longer easy to come by.

To "tide me over" I landed a part time position at a local home improvement center. And now the worsening economy has even affected that modest stream of funds. Consistently my hours are cut back to less than 10 a week from a high of 35. If there's a bright spot my wife found a decent job with nice benefits in the town over for us. Thank God or we'd all be on a steady diet of Liva Snaps.

I'm hopeful the new year is going to be better than the last. It has to be. And with everyone I meet I feel I'm that much closer to finding a job that will help me feel alive again. I guess that's why the camaraderie and support of professional groups like Charlotte's thriving chapter of the American Marketing Association are so important to me.

But what about you? If you've lost or are concerned about losing your job, how are you handling it? What are you doing about? Times like these are challenging for us all. But you have to believe that soon you'll once more find your rightful place in the world of work.

Posted by Ken Caputo

No comments: